January 29, 2012

Secrets of a Fighter

I'm sat here quite content with life. I've been fed and watered, the heating is on and I'm in a lovely state of doziness, the kind you get after good exercise, a big meal and a cup of tea. The palm of my hand is still aching slightly from last night's high five challenge with Chris, one of the physiotherapists from work. He challenged me in doing high fives until one of us gave up. None of us gave up; one of his friends finally jumped in to put an end to the torture, and by that time my hand was pretty much on fire; but I would have kept going if I had to. I am a fighter. If I wasn't a fighter I would have broken down a long time ago; there are battles that cause more pain than a swollen and bruised hand.

Sometimes people surprise you and you find out there is more to them than you first thought. Sometimes you surprise people by knowing who they are when they thought no-one could see. Sometimes I am more surprised by myself than by others. We all carry fears and we all have things we want to keep hidden. Like asking someone terrified of heights to take a leap of faith, that's what it's like to ask someone to share that deep secret; for just as a leap cannot be stopped mid-air, so a secret exposed cannot be made secret again. A secret should never be forced out, but should always be given freely. And if someone shares one of them with you, don't you dare to betray that trust. I am a carrier of many secrets, many of them unknown even to myself. Sometimes this scares me, but it gives me comfort knowing that God knows all of them and will reveal them to me as I'm ready to face them. He is the keeper of hearts, and He keeps this heart fighting.

Trust takes time.
Inspirational song of the day:  Whataya Want From Me 


All Love

No comments:

Post a Comment