April 26, 2013

God is so Good

This evening many people were going out to one of the popular restaurants/bars here in Conakry, and despite many invitations I decided to stay on the ship. I didn't really know what to do and didn't really have any peace so I decided to pick up my guitar and go down to the dock to play and ponder. As my regular spot was taken I decided to walk a little further and got called over by one of the dock workers. He asked me to teach him to play and sing, and I agreed to teach him to sing a song in French. He and his friends placed a mat on the ground for me to sit on and I started teaching them a song from my very limited French repertoire. One of the guys then wanted to teach me how to sing it in Fula and they wrote out the words for me to learn. The song in English goes like this:

You are bigger than what people say, 
Jehova, bigger than what people say. 
You are excellent, you are marvellous, 
you are bigger than what people say.

This led on to a conversation about God, and as these muslim men started mentioning their prophets I got to share with them what Jesus means to me. I told them how my sins are so great no sheep could make me worthy to stand before a holy God and how Jesus is the one sacrifice that is able to pay the debt I owe. We talked about forgiveness and how hoarding unforgiveness is like carrying around a heavy backpack, how God ordered us to do good to one another and how to fight evil. We talked about paradise and judgement and hypocrisy. After some time curfew called me back to the ship, and I left my eight new friends with a promise to come back Monday to continue the conversation. Before I left I was given a couple of mangoes and a Bob Marley hat (in return I gave the guy my silk scarf, which looked surprisingly good on him), then returned to the ship thanking God for such an unexpected evening. God is good.

All Love

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed by how you jumped in feet first here in Guinea Frida. You inspire me to be better. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! Preach it sistah!

    ReplyDelete