Yesterday a few of us had a day off work and decided to make the most of it. I went with 3 other nurses to one of the beautiful waterfalls outside the city. We started off on a bus, then transferred into a taxi, African style where you cram as many people as possible into one vehicle. The taxi wasn't able to bring us all the way to the falls though and we had to get a few boys on motorbikes to drive us there. Health and safety is not as big in Africa as it is in England, and so the only protection we had were the clothes on our bodies and flip flops. I have to admit I was a bit nervous in the beginning, especially since the bike I was on kept breaking down. We had to stop and get some new parts on the way, and by that time the others were long gone. My driver told me not to worry though, the bike had been working fine the previous day, and I decided to follow his advice and just go with the flow. We went on a dirt road, through knee-deep streams, over rocks and through deep pot-holes. It was quite an exhilarating ride! And when we arrived, boy did that waterfall look great! It was a stunning scenery and we all went for a swim despite advice to stay out of fresh water. I thoroughly enjoyed the sun and the water, a bit like being in a natural jacuzzi. And the best thing was that we had the return journey on the bikes to look forward to! A couple of breakdowns, beautiful mountains in the background and a driver trying to impress me by driving with no hands, quite an experience. I also managed to burn my leg on the exhaust during one of the break-down-breaks. I'll take it as a lesson for next time!
| Andrea enjoying the water |
| The bike in the back was my ride |
All in all it was a great day and I really appreciated getting away from the dirty city and the intense life onboard the ship. Now, back to work!
All Love
No comments:
Post a Comment